ExpandoHeat technology provides reliable tissue ablation or vessel sealing without “charring” and smoke generation, without tissue sticking to the instrument, and with a minimal lateral spread of thermal energy. Furthermore, the shape and size of the seal or ablation zone corresponds to the shape and size of heating element of the End-Effecter, which is an interchangeable element. The technology provides for reliable control of temperature through the procedure since the heating does not depend on tissue parameters (wet versus dry). Also, for the same reason, the temperature can be optimized for different procedures.
In summary advantages of Expandoheat technology listed below:
- No “Charring”.
- No “Sticking”. (End-effector can be coated with non-sticking material like Teflon®).
- Minimal lateral spread of thermal energy.
- Well-defined zone of ablation with very distinct boundary between the treated and the untreated tissue.
- No smoke generation.
- Accurate temperature control. Temperature does not depend on tissue parameters (wet or dry).
- Short time to reach desired temperature.
- Depth of tissue coagulation depends only on time and supplied power.
- End-effector temperature can be optimized for specific type of the treated tissue and surgical procedure.
- For forceps devices, the softness of microwave absorbing material results in more gentle handling of the treated tissue.
All the advantages were proven by ex-vivo study.